[DeTomaso] Postcard from Belgium....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 30 17:31:22 EDT 2011

Charlie wrote:

"Pictures will be sure to follow..."

Of course!

Great first day on Charlie McCall's bourgois backroads tour!   We had a
mellow day, with a very relaxed getup, a short drive to Ypres to tour the
Flanders Field museum (Ypres was the site of the principal front in WWI), then a
nice lunch in an outdoor cafe (and some shopping in the chocolate shops).

After that we drove to the town of Tournai and viewed the huge cathedral
(undergoing restoration) and just sort of ambled around a bit, then eventually
another short drive to our final destination for the night, where we were
joined by another Pantera from England.

The most radical car in the group is a super-wild Mangusta fitted with a
twin-turbocharged 351C!   Apparently it puts out a fair bit of heat--the
passenger had a backpack in the luggage compartment alongside the engine, and the
exhaust heat was so extreme that it melted the backpack and the contents
within!

The day wrapped up with a little nap followed by a typically epic dinner. :>
)

Here's photos of three of the cars on the tour; Charlie and Amaya in their
GT5-S, Andy and Dawn from the UK in their RHD GT5-S (bone-stock, all
original, just purchased six months ago), and Roland and his son-in-law Rusty from
Germany, in the Mangusta.

Weather forecast is for light rain tomorrow, then super-duper sunshine
weather for the rest of the week and the weekend. :>)