[DeTomaso] She lives - but clutch line seeps

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Mon May 30 15:49:45 EDT 2011

Took #6328 for her maiden drive after rebuilt ZF and new clutch master.
What a difference in the ZF shifting - now I know what guys mean when they
"claim" it shifts like butter.  Mine feels like butter that's been left out
to sit.

Clutch master install turned out to be more than I expected.  A friend came
over to help, and after three attempts to get it working properly, the pedal
would not budge at the top of the travel.  We then realized that the clutch
effort reduction mech was moving past center on the fulcrum because the
shaft on my new master was just a little longer than the original one.  We
looked at swapping them out, but the shaft on the old master was a mess: the
round head wasn't so round anymore, and quite corroded.  We ended up fabbing
a shim out of 1/8" aluminum plate that matched the profile of the back of
the master, and once that was installed, the pedal travel was perfect.

Now to the hitch . . .
I've still got a bit of a seep of fluid where the line mates to the master.
I did not tighten the line until the master itself was tight as I did not
want to pre-load the old line, but I'm thinking it may have resulted in not
getting a tight a flare seal as it should have been.  My first inclination
will be to loosen the master and line, tighten the line first when master
can move a bit, then resecure the master.  If that doesn't work, I'll
probably have to install a flare seal to take up the difference in the new
and old flares.  There is not enough line to cut and put a new flare on, and
I do not want to have to cut and splice in a new line.

Anyone with another Idea?  I'm out to the garage to try method number one .
. .

Mike Thomas
Fingers and toes crossed for Reno