[DeTomaso] MME Engine Failure

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:19:21 EDT 2011

> I thought I read that the engine had 2pc valves in it???

Please get your facts straight.  What your read was someone on the PI forum
theorizing it had 2 piece valves.  It didn't.  It has REV brand valves in it.
The guy who theorized it emailed another valve vendor who corrected him
stating that 2 piece valves are no longer used in the performance valve
industry and told him it appeared the failure (of the valve) was due
to piston to valve
contact.

> It would appear that a roller rocker failed

It's difficult to separate cause and effect here.  Two possibilities.
First, the keeper was chipped during assembly, resulting in a loose fit
that wore against the valve until the valve slipped out and smacked by
the piston.  The resultant motion knocked the roller rocker tip off.
Second, the tip of roller rocker fell off but the rocker kept pushing
on the retainer until it wore enough for the valve to slip out.

It appears Mikael is fixing the head and reinstalling it without pulling
the motor and cleaning out the debris.  That's a recipe for failure.
I hope he at least knows enough to use a non-bypassing filter.

Dan Jones