[DeTomaso]   Tech Session and ZF question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 23 03:11:17 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/22/11 2:07:56 PM, peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net writes:

> ... another "feels like it could be" picking up a nut/debris which gets
> bound between the reverse gears and gets spit out when I go forward. Is this
> also possble with the lay out of the ZF?

Probably not a nut/bolt- there are very few inside the transmission case.
Most of whats in there are allen setcrews that hold various parts of the
linkage. One Pantera owner did lose the little magnet from his ZF drain plug,
and it migrated forward and lodged firmly in the gear train; needed a teardown
to pick it out of the transmission! Since yours autocorrects after a while,
it's probably not that. When parts get caught in the gear mesh and get spit
out, the part comes out like a rifle bullet- fast enough to crack the
cases. This has happened with parts of ring-gear bolts, but those are in a
different section of the cases with baffles in between. It's also happened with
speedo gear extension shafts.
Dunno- as I said, if none of the suggestions work, call Lloyd- The Expert.
The rest of us are just guessing. Good luck- J Deryke