[DeTomaso] Tech Session and ZF question

Peter Kovacs peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 22 15:33:29 EDT 2011

I want to start by thanking Roger and Pam Sharp for hosting yesterdays Tech
Session. Roger, Jim, Richard, Mike,, Chuck, Brent, Curt, and many others (who
hopefully won't be offended that I didn't mention them by name) shared their
knowledge and efforts to preserve and enhance the cars that were there and the
lives of their owners. The food was hot, the beverages were cold, and the
weather was comfortably in between.

Now for the question. Once at Rogers and a few more times back closer to
home, while backing up in reverse, the car acted like it was thrown in to
park...which it doesn't have. It stopped so abruptly that the first time it
happened, I thought I backed in to someone else's Pantera. I asked Mike what I
hit. He said there was nothing around me. I changed my shorts, pulled forward,
shifted back into reverse and things worked normally for the next 100 miles or
so...most of them in forward gears. It acted up again while trying to park at a
restaurant. When locked up, the clutch can't be released without stalling the
engine or breaking the trans. This is an assumption because I disengage the
clutch as soon as it acts up which stops the car. Once I place the car into a
forward gear, things seem to work fine until it happens again in reverse, but
not each time.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the problem/solution? The ZF
was rebuilt about 1500 miles ago.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Peter Kovacs
209 345-6708