[DeTomaso] ANSA mufflers

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat May 21 20:39:07 EDT 2011

Mike,

the resistance of airflow thru a tube is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the radius-- so if you double the diameter of a hole the resistance decreases to 1/16th. So yes, the resistance thru all those little holes is much greater than thru a single  large hole.

What you describe regarding being disappointed with new mufflers being too quiet is why I have not replaced the rusted-out, ratty-looking Ansas on my car.  I like the sound and that is more important to me than appearance.

Do you have a sound level meter?  You can get one at Radio Shack very inexpensively.  It would be interesting to see what levels you get behind your car compared to a GTS, Hall, and other systems.

Jim Oddie