[DeTomaso] Oil Smoke From Breathers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 19 00:39:04 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/18/11 5:50:20 PM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> No smoke out of the tailpipes, and this engine has been blowing the oil
> mist
> out of the breather between 3,800 & 4,500 rpm's since it's maiden voyage.

That part sounds like ring seal problems, sad to say. Has it gotten any
better in 2500 miles?
I once rebuilt a Ford engine and used chrome plated rings for longer engine
life. The engine did not develop enough compression to fire up on the
starter for 2500 miles due to the block not being correctly honed for those
rings. 'Course, once it finally did fire up on its own, it ran dependably for
200,000 commuter miles. A pro engine builder needs to look at it and maybe do a
leak-down test IMHO.
Good luck-J DeRyke