[DeTomaso] Mufflers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 19 00:29:46 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/18/11 4:25:01 PM, mgreen008 at triad.rr.com writes:

> Replacing my mufflers with aftermarket units. How close can the muffler
> be to a painted surface without damaging the paint?

Put it this way: the muffler tips get hot enough to melt 50:50 solder
(~350F), and the bodies get hotter yet..... At a '90s   Silver State open road
event, one Pantera owner with stylish upswept exhaust tips and too-close
clearances MELTED his tail light lenses at 150 mph.   As Michael said, a lot
depends on how air flows under the car past the exhausts, and how much power
you're making. FWIW- J DeRyke