[DeTomaso] FM plastic gizmos

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 17 14:25:27 EDT 2011

With std pan gaskets, I contact-cement the gaskets to the pan, and stick a
set of stock bolts through all the holes while the glue is drying. The
gaskets are long and floppy so only holding them at the ends risks a misalignment
in the middle. Sanding disc contact cement works fine and is readily
available.
After the contact cement is dry, I wipe a little grease on the gasket face
for the block, put a dab of RTV at each corner for the front & rear block
seals and bolt it up, knowing the bolts will all fit, and the gaskets won't
slide out of position while twisting the pan into position. I also use gr-5
studs and elastic stop-nuts in place of the stock grade-nothing pan bolts.
If the gasket(s) ever need to be replaced, they will only stick to the pan,
not the block. Doing it this way, special patent gaskets are not necessary;
Fel-Pro gaskets from the overhaul gasket set work fine. My 2¢- J DeRyke