[DeTomaso] pantera varieties list

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 16 19:25:23 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

Additions and subtractions from your list indicated with "+" and "-" below:

+1971 hand-built Prototype #1000
+1971 European pushbutton
+1971 US pushbutton

> 1971 Pantera pre L (through February 1972)
> 1972 Pantera pre L (March through July 1972)
> - 1972 Pantera pre L GTS   (this doesn't exist, at least not with this
> nomenclature)
> + 1972 Pantera GTS (Euro GTS)
> 1972 Pantera L (August through December 1972)
> + 1972 Pantera L (European market, they were different from the US-market
L-models in slight ways)
> - 1972 Pantera L GTS (there was no such thing--a Pantera is either an L,
> or a GTS, not both)
> - 1973 Pantera L GTS (there was no such thing--a Pantera is either an L,
> or a GTS, not both)
> + 1973 Pantera GTS (Euro GTS)
+1973 Pantera GTS (US market GTS)
> 1973 Pantera L (with the single-pod dash, with a handful of exceptions
> built in April '73)
> + 1973 Pantera L (European market, they were different from the US-market
L-models in slight ways)
> - 1974 Pantera L GTS (there was no such thing--a Pantera is either an L,
> or a GTS, not both)
> + 1974 Pantera GTS (Euro GTS)
+ 1974 Pantera GTS (US market GTS)
1974 Pantera L
+ 1974 Pantera L (European market, they were different from the US-market
L-models in slight ways)

>           Pantera Gr3
>           Pantera Gr4
>      + Pantera GT/4   (This was supposed to be a roadgoing version of the
Gr4 race car, but all the 1972 GT/4 Panteras were converted before being
sold, and all were essentially the same, Gr4 race cars, not street cars).

>           Pantera GT5
>           Pantera GT5-S
>      + Pantera GT5-S Targa (12 Panteras were converted to Targa spec by
Carrozzeria Pavisi; 11 of them were GT5-S Panteras and the first was a 1974
Euro GTS)
     + Pantera GT/4 (basically a GT5-spec road Pantera, equipped with Gr4
flares; these were available through the 1980s)

>            Pantera 200 si
>            Pantera 200 si Targa
>
>>>There was never any such thing as a Pantera 200.   The car was called
the Nuevo Pantera, or Pantera Si.   A single Pantera Si was made in right-hand
drive, and Dick Puxty, the UK importer, had a turbocharged 5.0 liter
Mustang motor built for it.   It was featured in a magazine article with a claimed
top speed of 200 mph.   The article was called "Pantera 200" and people
mistakingly thought the car was called the Pantera 200.   We've been trying to
correct that error for almost 20 years now! :>)