[DeTomaso] Stiff springs and 1" sway bars! (was Re: De Anza Autocross)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 16 17:57:43 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/16/11 14 32 46, thomas at hax.se writes:

> What is stock on a GT5 (1984)?
>
> My car is too soft in the rear, even for highway cruising.

According to Hall Pantera, the GT5 used 450 front, 550 rear.   However, I'm
not so sure that De Tomaso bothered to change spring rates.   Due to the
much wider track of the GT5 and GT5-S, the effective spring rate was lowered
with the same-size springs, so a widebody car would need stiffer springs to
ride the same as a narrow-body car with standard springs.   If a widebody car
is equipped with standard-rate springs, it will ride softer than a
narrow-body car with the same springs.   That sounds like the circumstance you're
describing.

(This is due to the greater leverage moment associated with widebody cars,
where the center of the contact patch of the tire is considerably outboard,
relative to narrowbody cars, even when equipped with wide wheels and tires).

I think if you sprung (HAH!) for a set of Konis with 450 front, and 650 or
750 rear springs, you would be as happy as can be.   I've got 450/650 Konis
on my narrowbody car and it feels perfect to me!