[DeTomaso] bump steer kit con't

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 16 14:07:09 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/15/11 12 44 43, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> You'll need four 5/16" longer metric bolts to
> compensate for the extra spacers, or (better) cut down the stock outer
> rack-clamp
> faces by 5/16". This not only allows reusing the OEM bolts, it keeps you
> from
> having to redrill 4 more holes in the frame for remounting the rack brace
> mounts.

This is a borderline lethal idea IMHO.   It seems absolutely crazy to
create a potentially critical structural weakness just to saving having to spend
a couple of bucks on 10mm longer bolts, and the effort to drill three
holes???   Insanity!

Here's a photo of the part in question; I used a marker to identify the
area you are proposing to remove, on the left side:

http://tinyurl.com/ShavedRackMount

The steering rack is held in place ONLY with those two cast-iron clamps.
If you remove 10mm of material in the manner you are speaking of (which is
the appropriate amount for the job at hand), you create a very weak area on
both ends of the clamp.   Potentially, one good shot could result in a clamp
breaking, and your steering rack coming adrift.   Then what do you do?

There's no way for any of us to test this scientifically.   But intuitively
one can see that creating these weak spots (especially if the corners
aren't radiused) is a ridiculous (not to mention very labor-intensive) idea.
I'd rather spend the $3 for new, longer bolts, thanks!!!

The factory spacers are 10mm thick, and the factory bolts are M8 x 1.25 x
80mm

10mm equals 0.39 inches; 5/16 is only 0.31 inches. 3/8 inch is 0.375, which
is 9.53mm.   If you can't find or make 10mm spacers, 3/8 inch material
would be a very acceptable substitute.