[DeTomaso] Rosanna Dana Dana.....you insightful biyatch!

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Sun May 15 15:38:15 EDT 2011

Working on the Goose....

How would anyone know such a crazy SNL character would be so relevant????

"Well, ya know....... it's always something!!!"

Been waiting weeks for the new oil pan to arrive.  It shows up Thursday
finally!   I massaged it to my standards, cleaned it in solvent, and dug out a
new standard volume oil pump and deburred it....all in anticipation of putting
it all in yesterday plus recharge the AC system!

So, car up in the air, drain the oil, drop the pan, drop the oil pump.....  Put
iin the new pump and pickup, pan bolts up just fine, dump the oil back in. (Less
than 600 miles on it....)  All is well in the oil dept now!!! Pan fits up flush
with the bottom of the frame rails now! I'm happy!

Re-charged the AC system.  Installed a new receiver/dryer, double checked all
the connections throughout, and sucked down the system with a vacumm pump.   Let
it sit 15 minutes to confirm no major holes!!!  Put in the
refrigerant....        Thought I had a leak but after clearing out the tester,
it doesn't appear to be leaking.....will monitor.   AC now cools the cabin of
the Goose down nicely!!!!

Clean up..... car is still up on 4x4's all around...time to put it back on the
ground in preparation for driving the damned thing!!!  Down placing the jack,
and spot a leak up front of the engine.....not oil....!   Gas!  WTH now???????

Initial look see pointed to a possible leak at the pressure fitting up to the
carb. Hardline.  Tightened it to the point where it will  not get any
tighter.....without stripping something....!  Cleaned it all off with a dry
paper towel and let it sit over night.   Small puddle this morning.....ugh!!!
(A few drops.....)

In all fairness, the fuel pump is the one piece that is a hold over from waaaay
back!   I suspect the diaphragm to be going due to modern fuels eating it
away......   I always feared the day that I would need to replace it.    It is
the "sealed" or not rebuildable unit that you see...all crimped body....  Only
reason I used it is that it was a high performance unit!  (no longer sold!)    I
had new pumps sitting on the shelf, but I am almost certain that the fitting
locations will be different if I use the Holley style pump that I have.   I know
I should have mocked up a new hardline when I had the damned engine on the stand
last year!!!!

SO, so much for driving the car today.  Back up in the air.....back under the
car....... off to the parts store to get more tubing....

Ugh!
Steve