[DeTomaso] NPC - Where are vehicles made

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue May 10 09:11:52 EDT 2011

I'm neither for nor against "Buy American", hard to have an opinion about
from over here. I do tell my colleagues to "buy American", when their Mini
is in the garage for cold start problems for the 5th time, and my then Jeep
GC never had a problem. J

But on whether to buy from one's own country or not, I want to share a
story. I worked for Eastman Kodak from 1988 to 1998. Kodak had a bad time,
kept laying off people. I then read a book about it, called Changing Focus.
In that book was stories about families that had always worked for Eastman
Kodak, it was the place to work if you lived in the Rochester area. And you
would work there all your life. Husband and wife had been laid off, and
didn't get work for years, had to sell cars and later house, very tragic.

And now to the point. That man and wife couple were critical of their fellow
Americans, because they bought Fujitsu film, why wouldn't their fellow
Americans support American companies and workers, and buy Kodak? A valid
question I guess. But on the next page it was mentioned that they had to
sell their 3 cars: A Volvo, a Saab and a BMW. They clearly couldn't be
satisfied with anything being produced in the US at that time, but they
expected their fellow Americans to buy Kodak film, even if Fujitsu may have
been better value (which is was, due to subsidies from the Japanese
government)

"Buy Danish!" We're big in bacon, windmills, insulin and container shipping

Mikael