[DeTomaso] Alternator Firewall Kit - Belay my last

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun May 8 20:48:18 EDT 2011

A combination of things, actually.

when I did my custom wiring panel a few years ago with the full MSD setup, I
ran the heater hoses down behind it, and used the original metal strap
attached to the firewall to hold the hoses in place.  The hoses had to be
moved to the right to provide clearance.

The other was actually not following the directions in Kirks instructions
and laying in on it's back with the bracket attached, but rather sliding it
in in upright with the bracket installed and just finessing it around the
corner.  One thing I didn't recall seeing in Kirk's instructions is that you
need to cut the tab off of the lower cooling tube going to the bottom of the
pressure tank so that tube can move back a bit to clear the alternator.

Once in place, there was plenty of clearance for the pulley and belt, but is
did need to file a bit of the engine cover opening to the left of where the
AC compressor so I could get the belt on the AC pulley (only about 3/16" at
the round of the pulley.

The real PITA was tightening the AC compressor belt tensioner. Only one way
the proper socket can be wriggled back in there from under the car, and it
would be best if you had someone else to push down on the tensioner from
above while you tighten it.

A lot done today after yesterday's engine/ZF install.  Four weekends left to
get ready for Reno.

Mike Thomas

  _____