[DeTomaso] NPC fascinating "financial planner" view of the SUVvs. gas-efficient car argument

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun May 8 11:45:18 EDT 2011

My job now takes me to the property next to my house. I drive into town
to get something about once a week. That makes my Ford F-350 a lot more
viable!

I have a real problem with a push to small cars. Our roads and
infrastructure are designed for descent size cars. You see a lot of
small rural communities allowing golf carts and 4-wheelers on the roads.
The idea is sound but the execution is getting a lot of people killed.

No one wants to be on the rad in a micro car when a semi or large SUV
pulls up and towers over them. Americans have chosen cars of fair size.
The only way to change this is to change the infrastructure.

I would propose small car communities where you can get to the community
externally or internally....but all the internal roads only allow small
cars from golf carts to a limit of 2000lb 2-liter car and a height limit
(or something like that) with speeds no more then 35mph. Inside this
community you would have access to office centers, groceries, and
perhaps land on the back side of some major stores.

If you drove in a small area where the size of cars are limited I
wouldn't have an issue driving a small car. My wife has a Jetta. When I
pull up at a light with a truck behind me and an SUV in front, I can not
even tell when the light is changing. I can't tell when the car in front
of them is turning or slamming on the brakes. It is one big reason
people like big cars. If everyone was in a small car, it would be no issue.

But we also have to realize small cars will help our pocket books but
won't solve our energy problems. Transportation is less then 50% of
energy use and this includes trains and semi's. When people look at
cars, as was sasid, the cost of producing the car is seldom factored in.

Gary