[DeTomaso] NPC fascinating "financial planner" view of the SUV vs. gas-efficient car argument

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 8 10:04:21 EDT 2011

I knew this intuitively, but first read a rational analysis in Road & Track
a few years back; I think it was Peter Egan's column?   It arrived at
almost exactly the same conclusion.

What the article fails to mention is that the cost savings become
exponentially larger the longer you hold onto your old car.   Even factoring in
increased maintenance, it's still far cheaper to drive an older, paid-for car
than to buy a new one, especially considering that new cars cost more each
year.

That's one of the many reasons that my newest car was built in 1981.   And
my mom's newest (and only) car was built in 1965!!!