[DeTomaso] LEDs - approaching last call!

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 7 19:06:08 EDT 2011

A red tail light lense is really just a filter that removes all the light
except red wavelengths (an amber lense would be the same but just different
wavelengths).  So if you put a white light of a given intensity behind a red
lense and all the light spectra except red are absorbed, then only a small
percentage of the total light emitted by the white LED actually passes
through (as JT says it is 'diminished').  On the other hand, virtually none
of the light emitted by a red LED is absorbed by a red lense, so practically
everything emitted by a red LED passes through a red lense to your eyeball
on the other side.  It doesn't just appear brighter, it actually is
brighter.

Dave Bell