[DeTomaso] Valvoline oils

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 5 15:18:41 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/5/11 9:00:41 AM, dave at damardirect.com writes:

> I'm not in the oil business. Racing oil has very little PPM of detergents
> (most 1/2 or less than conventional) and is designed for frequent changes-
> i.e. after each race.

Gotta agree with Dave here. There are a scary number of 40-year old Pantera
ZFs out there still with OEM lube in them... even though DeTomaso and ZF
both said to change the stuff after the first 4-5000 kms and regularly after
each additional 15-20,000 km. So running a short-life racing oil in   already
poorly serviced gearboxes only will lead to tear$. Sure, if you're willing
to service the thing as needed, there are many things that will work. But
not for general use IMHO. My 2¢- J Deryke