[DeTomaso] Installing a stainless firewall panel/cover

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 15:59:51 EDT 2011

Anybody have any idea how best to install a stainless firewall panel/cover in the engine compartment?

I don't want to remove the insulation that's already on the firewall. I'm thinking of lining the back side of my panel with Dynomat (or similar product) to add a little insulation.

But I'm not sure how best to mount it. Ideas...

1. Stack some nuts and tack weld to the firewall at key locations so I can screw the panel directly into them.

2. Epoxy some wood strips to various locations on the firewall and use a nice looking trim screw (course thread) and screw the panel into the wood backing blocks.

3. ???

Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Garth