[DeTomaso] Best Cleveland Valve Stem Valve Seal ??

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 1 15:00:30 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/1/11 5:32:11 AM, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> I need inputs on what is the present best valve stem seal and pt # of
> same for 351C.

I like 100% teflon seals (like Perfect Circle) that sell for about $1.50
apiece thru Summit, Jegs and most speed and engine shops. There are other
slightly cheaper seals in which only a ring around the valve stem is teflon with
the rest being neoprene. They are a litle easier to install. With valve
stem seals that snap tightly onto the end of the guides, you need to know what
size guides the engine has. Stock was the 0.530" but many performance en
gines have had the guide ends cut down to 0.500" because the bigger seals will
not fit inside some performance valve spring sets.
The ones included free in overhaul gasket sets are umbrellas that do not
seal, only keep 'rain' from falling on the guides and do not belong on a
performance engine. The neoprene hardens over time in the hot oil, shatters and
falls into the pan to jam up oil pump rotors & score pump housings. Here's an
instance where you get what you pay for, and umbrellas are free.... My 2¢-
J DeRyke