[DeTomaso] Headliner Re/re

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 18:18:32 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/30/11 12 25 42, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> My headliner is in good shape but is sagging. Can I just clean the
> underside up and reinstall with contact cement? Does it require the thin foam.
> Easier to buy a vendor kit?

At this point, if you can save the original material, I'd do so.   The foam
is important both for noise insulation, and also for padding if you happen
to hit your head on the roof.   A good upholstery shop should be able to
either do the work for you, or provide you with the material.

Before you pull the headliner down, thoroughly cover the entire interior
with a sheet--dash, console, seats, etc.   When you pull it down foam will go
EVERYWHERE.   You can use a Shop-Vac and scrape the foam off the ceiling and
help prevent more of a mess, then when you're done, carefully fold up the
sheet with the remaining foam flakes therein.

Then glue your new foam/headliner back in place and live happily ever
after.   While it's out, you might want to scrub the headliner clean; you might
find it becomes less yellow and more white....