[DeTomaso] Generator Dummy Light with a 1-wire alternator

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue Mar 29 14:55:24 EDT 2011

Asa Jay, I replied to all just in case anybody else wants to do this mod or
use my alternator guy to replace their stock alternator with a modified GM
single wire that has a connection to turn off your Generator dash light.  He
charges $125 plus shipping or you can follow the directions below and get it
done yourself.

Dean has a one-person shop about 5 miles from my house here in Orange Park,
FL called All Start Auto Electric. He's a stand-up guy and has been doing
this for a long-long time.  His number is (904) 276-9797.

He starts with a Delco CS-130 alternator that I think he said was 97 or 100
amps. You need a single grove pulley with an offset that aligns to your
current one. The one that came on the alternator would not work but he
measured my old Ford one and had the right one.‎ As a courtesy to any
Pantera member, I'd be happy to bring my old alternator back for him to take
another measurement if needed. Just let me know.

The alternator was modified with a D411 Voltage Regulator and a wire was
attached from the internal voltage regulator terminal L to have an external
wire plug terminal. Attach the external wire to your existing voltage
regulator terminal I (the letter between h and j) but make sure you
disconnect the harness from the external voltage regulator or the light will
stay on (see my prior posts today when I figured that one out).

I bought the Kirk Evans firewall reduction kit and highly recommend it. I
told Kirk that I was going to use my old alternator, so he sold me the
bracket for a Ford. I changed my mind though and it just requires a 1"
spacer be added.  I went to Home Depot and bought a small male-male
galvanized connector pipe and chopped/grinded it to 1", which took a
whopping 5 minutes to complete. If you know you will be using a Delco one,
Kirk has a different bracket. I'd use the Ford one so, I can always go back
to my other alternator if I have a stroke and start doing insane things in
my life....again.

Good luck.

Rob