[DeTomaso] Generator Dummy Light with a 1-wire alternator

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue Mar 29 08:22:41 EDT 2011

While installing my Kirk Evans firewall reduction kit, I decided to upgrade
my 61 Amp stock alternator to a GM 97 Amp single-wire one. The alternator
shop modified the new alternator to have a wire to control the dash light
and told me to splice it into my current voltage regulator wire labeled "I"
(the letter i, not 1). When I did a fit test prior to hooking up the extra
wire, I noticed the system was not showing a charge on the amp meter. Once I
hooked up the extra wire to the voltage regulator i wire, it was charging
perfectly....except the dummy light was still lit.  The three left-over
wires from my stock alternator are all taped off and the voltage regulator
plug is still attached, just spliced to the new wire.

How do you have to wire it to control the light?

--
Rob