[DeTomaso] Overseas Insurance

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 16:39:03 EDT 2011

Will,

I lived in Italy for 5 years and have been back at least 15 times  since
1980.

I love Italy and I have life long friends there.

My advice? Don't take anything valuable, like your Pantera, to  Italy.

Rent a car in Italy and buy every insurance they sell. Most rental  car
insurance has a hefty deductible which leaves you liable for every ding and
dent they find ...... even after they have inspected the car and  you've gone
home. You can buy extra insurance which covers the deductible  and thus
removes their motivation to ding you (pun intended).

However, buying the insurance gives you the right to argue. Don't  expect
the police or the insurance company to do anything if you really  need either
of them.

BTW, if you rent in one city and return in a different city, you  will pay
around $350 for the convenience.

Also be aware, the centers of the larger Italian cities are now  restricted
driving zones covered by camera systems which recognize license  plates.
You will get a bill for $200 for each violation. The  bill comes in the mail
after you get home ...... up to one year  later. They know where you live
because it is a rental car. They also  have your credit card information from
the rental company. Our last trip to  Rome: $400 for me and $600 for my son.
We didn't know the system existed. The  rental company never said a word nor
did the hotel. The system  is administered by subcontractors, not civil
servants, who are paid a  percentage of the fines. Sound like our stop light
cameras?

You can protest the ticket by appearing before a magistrate in  Italy. The
magistrate will tell you he has no authority over the traffic ticket  system
and does not know who does have the authority.

Contact your hotel and they can register a permit with the camera  gestapo
to allow you to drive to and from your hotel. I have never tried that  and
probably never will.

YMMV.

Have  fun today,

sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 3/28/2011 11:56:42 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,