[DeTomaso] ZF questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 01:00:24 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/27/11 14 11 1, davel at emspace.com writes:

> My ZF didn't have a bellows over the "Gearshift Operating Shaft" (#627
> in the manual exploded view).
> In order to install one, I need to get the splined stub-shaft, off the
> end of the shaft.
> It's held on with what looks like a tapered, hollow pin
>   and the end that I need to whack to get it out is next to the main
> body, so I can't get at it.
> Anybody have a neat way of removing it, before I take off the selector
> cover??

FWIW, I was just at Lloyd Butfoy's shop working on a couple of ZFs.   He
says that bellows is totally unnecessary and contributes to shifter
imprecision.   He removes them and deposits them in the round file.

Based on that, I say, don't bother!

Also, he warned me that the splined stub-shaft is a $150 part,
Pantera-specific, so there's another good reason not to mess around with it!!!