[DeTomaso] Tire pressure

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 12:52:19 EDT 2011

I think Julian is right here--  even though modern tires have steel belts under the tread they will still bend some-- they are not like solid steel bands.  So if you mount the tire on a rim that is too narrow for it it will bow in the tread area, putting more force on the road in the middle of the tread.

I am 99% sure there was a post in the past where someone said using 35psi or similar with 335 tires on 11" wheels led to very rapid tire wear in the center and they found that somewhere in the low 20's solved the problem.

I remember because that seemed like a very low pressure to be running and simply proved to my mind that the rim was too narrow.  I run 285s on 10" rims on my car (with 215 fronts)-- looks macho enough for me. .

Jim