[DeTomaso] Parts for Rear Uprights

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 23:29:44 EDT 2011

Doug, Gary Hall was arguably the first to sell drilled lower shafts in the
'80s, as an alternative to taking the rear uprights apart yearly for
regreasing. The shafts were drilled about 1/3 of the length on each end, each with
a cross-hole so grease was delivered to the shaft surfaces and the inside of
the internal spacer & upright. Some of us then drilled cross-holes in the
spacer as well, so the grease was also delivered to the OD of the spacer
where it runs in bronze bushings, and also greases the thrust washers in the end
caps. This seems to have fixed all the problems; I did mine in 1992 with
good results.

Don't pump too much in- you're trying to fill a small volume cavity.
Displaced air will be pushed out past the o-ring seals in the end caps as the only
vent.... unless you add another. I had originally drilled the outside of
the upright for a zerk, hoping that by pumping grease in the middle, it would
somehow find its way to all the critical surfaces, but this also has no
bleed vent for displaced 'stuff' except for the end cap o-rings. Later, I
drilled the lower shafts for zerks as a more direct, elegant answer. Now when
greasing, I remove the zerk-plug in the upright so air, moisture and fresh
grease comes out this "bleeder-hole" as the bearing surfaces fill. I should
probably use a pipe plug in place of an unused zerk, but that's way-down on my
to-do list. Works for me and it might also for you. Good luck- J Deryke