[DeTomaso] Parts for Rear Uprights

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Mar 24 08:26:06 EDT 2011

I agree with Dennis.  The drilled shafts are a poor design as the grease
will not easily migrate to the exterior of the larger long sleeve that the
drilled shaft slides through.  As a consequence, through condensation or
splash, water can still form in the space between the hub carrier, bushings
and the longer sleeve leading to corrosion and freezing up.  I've worked on
many cars where the shaft slid out easily from the sleeve, while the sleeve
was married to the bushings and carrier.

A singe zerk in the hub carrier is the superior solution.  It fills the
space on the back side of the sleeve displacing air with grease and assuming
the sleeve is drilled, lubricates the shaft and eventually gets squeezed out
by the shaft's ends.

If you lack this zerk, be sure to add it. Or the job is incomplete.

JT