[DeTomaso] Parts for Rear Uprights

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 23:37:00 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/23/11 7 49 8, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Mike Mayberry had some lower shafts for sale on PI and they have been on
> and off Ebay. But IMO if you need shafts you likely need the bushings etc.
> that goes with them and all the vendors sell the kit complete.

They're all slightly different, some are substantially more expensive than
others, and those typically have more desireable features.

I think Wilkinson's complete kit is the least expensive; it's basically
just the stock parts, but new.   The brass bearings that sit in the bottom of
the hub carrier are teflon-coated steel instead.

Last weekend, we installed Dennis Quella's setup on Lori's Pantera.   It
has noteworthy improvements, including provisions for a pair of grease
fittings in the bottom of the uprights, and various grooves/slots machined into the
components to allow a path for the grease to travel where it needs to go.
It cost noticeably more, I think, but it was far from excessive.

The shaft kits don't include the cups, seals, washers etc.   We got those
from Dennis also, and I think they were the same (essentially) as the ones
Wilkinson sells, and I think Wilkinson's prices were much lower for those.

Dennis used to sell rifle-drilled shafts with a grease fitting on the end
(that's what I have) but he says he no longer favors that design.