[DeTomaso] Heater control valve

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 22 18:42:47 EDT 2011

Jack

I agree, there were two different valves in Ford program Panteras 1971-74.
It's not a mistake in the parts book though. The valves are directly
interchangeable, so Ford only lists the later valve # D36Y 18495-A in the
1974 (ORANGE) parts book. Being a prefix of D36Y means it was a
Pantera-specific part not common to US produced vehicles that was first
introduced in the 1973 production year. I also  have a 1972 Ford Pantera
parts book (Blue cover) and it lists the early type valve as D16Y 18495-A,
indicating it was listed first in 1971 year, so used from 71-72.

That's what I think I know. I actually find the Ford parts books the most
accurate, consistent reliable source of information on Ford program
Panteras. There is so much incorrect "I think I know" information floating
around about them that is almost mythical.

Barry