[DeTomaso] Heater control valve

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 12:09:19 EDT 2011

 No, I'm not looking for the levers.  I'm thinking on hooking up my heater after having the hoses capped several years ago, so I'm exploring what I should do as long as I'm doing the job.   Although I don't recall any leaking problems from my heater valve, I thought I would take it out since there isn't any coolant in the lines and rebuild it before I hook up the lines again.  That's when I noticed that my valve was different from the valves that Asa Jay and Mike Dailey had documented their rebuilds.

I learned that John Buckman is in the process of installing the electronic control valve that is advertised on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280634203608&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT) that mounts in the engine bay and serves as both a (more precise) control valve and shutoff valve.   He said he would share pictures of his install and commentary on the operation of the valve.  I discovered this valve just last week while doing some searching on the web concerning Pantera heater valves, but John said he saw the eBay ad a year ago.  Both he and I are surprised that we haven't heard anything about this valve on the forum.   Anybody have any experience with this valve?   John was hoping to get his valve install this week so maybe we'll get a first hand account of the valve's performance.

Tom