[DeTomaso] Small PC, Ralph Nader's Nightmare

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 16:16:26 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/21/11 11:08:54 AM, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Corvair-65-Chevrolet-Corvair-V-8-Pantera-Z-F-5-speed-Transaxle-/160562282552

A '65 Corvair was our first new car in Chicago. I eventually put over
275,000 miles on it while changing every single part in the car- some multiple
times. Sold in 1999 with dual 3bbl Webers, 4-wheel disc brakes, oversized mag
wheels and 3 full pages of other mods. V-8 conversions were popular both
rear-engine and mid-engine configurations, but the best Corvair tranny would
barely hold 200 bhp and had posi only on one halfshaft so the ZF is valuable.
A water-cooled engine also gives one a real heater- one of the few real
flaws of the original. I autocrossed it, commuted, toured and vacationed in it
with a growing family. FWIW, one of these mid-engine conversions crashed
during an ORR a few years back- at over 175 mph. Driver (also from Chicago) was
hurt but lived to rebuild the pieces. Cheers- J DeRyke