[DeTomaso] engine bay lower X-member

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 02:08:50 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/20/11 22 47 56, davel at emspace.com writes:

> I have the 351C out and one if the Ipsco removable X-member replacements
> sitting ready to go.
> But just before I rip out the original, I'd like to read one or two of
> the write-ups of those who already did it.
> You know, in case there's a "whatever you do - don't xyz$"

It's pretty straightforward.   The crossmember folds out and on each end,
has two flat surfaces spot-welded to the sides of the chassis rail, and one
on the top.   I used a Sawzall to cut the crossmember out, leaving the flat
surfaces still attached to the chassis.   Then I used an air chisel, prybars,
hammers, and profanity to remove the remaining pieces, then an angle
grinder to grind things smooth, then undercoating paint to hide any trace of it
ever having been there.