[DeTomaso] oil choice

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:59:38 EDT 2011

Jim,

Point taken, I hadn't thought about it from that angle.

Thanks,
Julian

To: julian_kift at hotmail.com; michael at michaelshortt.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] oil choice
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:30:30 -0400
From: pantdino at aol.com
CC: detomaso at realbig.com

I see sump size as being a factor in oil viscosity selection and is related to how you use the car.
The more oil is in the sump the longer it will take to get to operating temperature-- about twice as long for 10 qts as for 4.5 qts.  So if the car has a 10qt sump and the person is starting the engine and just pottering around the neighborhood for 20 minutes he is better off with a thin oil which will have the correct viscosity at the temperature it is actually being used at.

In my cars with oil temp gauges I never see the 100 dec C temp at which hot viscosity is quoted.

But you're right in that if you're driving for 3 hours at high speed every time you drive then sump capacity is irrelvant because it will come to a stabilized temp regardless.  You really have to have an oil temp gauge to know what kind of oil to use.  My Pantera does not so I use "oil pressure at idle" as a guide to when it has reached operating temp, but it is not optimal.

Jim