[DeTomaso] Heater control valve

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 17:19:06 EDT 2011

 I had my heater hoses capped several years ago thinking that it would make my A/C more effective (when I got around to fixing it).   After doing some fall driving without heat and not having the ability to demist the windshield, I'm thinking about reconnecting the hoses again.   I've read several posts about rebuilding the heater control valve and thought I should do that before I hook up the heater.   After looking at my valve I see that it is different than the types of valves that were shown in the rebuild articles.   Those valves all had a lever that connected to the valve body and was moved by the wire cable connected to the lever on the console.

I looked at mine today and I see that the cable lever moves a rod in and out of the control valve to control the fluid flow.   Are there two different valves that the factory used or do I have some kind of aftermarket valve?  Without knowing what I got, I'm reluctant to take it out.  The valve moves very smoothly using the cable lever and didn't leak when I capped the hoses years ago.   I'm thinking that I'll leave it alone unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Tom
#5186 73 Euro GTS