[DeTomaso] Color Code - Paint

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:08:36 EDT 2011

Is yours pearl, or just refrigerator white?

Charlie has the first GT5-S which was a factory pearl white, which is
almost impossible to match.   If you've got the same color, you might wind
up
with the same situation he had.   His car had led a hard life and had been
spot-repaired here and there;
***Please, Mike, my car had been "enjoyed" and "used as Alejandro and Tony
Harvey intended" (which is sort of the same thing, but sounds a whole lot
better!

half of it was pearl white but this door, that
fender etc. were simply refrigerator white with no pearl; it looked weird.
***Actually not quite true, and simply illustrates the difficulty in
matching pearl paint. The white base used to repaint the car was more beige
than the stock color, but there were hints of pink and purple... It was in
fact pearl, but a different pearl.

He finally bit the bullet and had the whole car painted; it's beautiful
now.

If your car doesn't have pearl in it, then you're in luck.   The factory
used Spies-Hecker paint in the 1980s.   The non-pearl white was called
Bianco
Polo, and the Spies-Hecker paint code is 5200 152.
***Curious about this - Campana, who was the shop who painted the cars for
DeTomaso in the 80's, told me that it was Sandox (I have the e-mail).

To be honest I don't think it really matters - any reputable brand can be
used, and you need to custom mix the paint anyway.