[DeTomaso] AC Compressor Source

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 13:02:23 EDT 2011

I see reference to SD-508 and SD-50.  Which one and what is a good source?
>>>The SD-508 is a good choice.  AC Parts Warehouse in Texas is an excellent
>>>source.  They will even change the compressor head (before shipping) to any
>>>type that is available, such as a head with R-12 charging ports.
>>>   http://www.acparts.com/New-Sanden-AC-Compressor-p-278645.html

Napa and Advance Auto Parts could not locate a Sankyo or Sanden from this
model number. Is there a make/model that would help them find the
compressor?
>>>Try model number 8390.  Make sure that it is a NEW, GENUINE SANDEN.

If I plan to use R-134, what is the criteria to choose flared fittings or
o-rings?
>>>The o-ring fittings are preferred.  O-ring to flare adapters are available.
>>>  http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/flare-adapters-81.php

My radiator is in the stock position. Can I relocate my condenser up front
in that configuration?
>>>Yes, but as Larry Finch pointed out, you will need sucker fans.

If I relocate the condenser up front, is there preferred condenser that
fits?
>>>Measure the space in front of the radiator (width and height) and get the
>>>largest condenser that will fit in that space.  This will probably be a 14 x 28"
>>>condenser.  Make sure that it is a PARALLEL flow type of condenser. You
>>>can get a condenser with the drier attached.  Specify left or right mount.
>>>   http://tinyurl.com/AC-condenser-with-drier

Any help is appreciated. I really need to get the compressor ordered ASAP
and decide which condenser to get.
>>>Follow Larry's suggestions, and DO NOT get a REBUILT  or a SANDEN STYLE
>>>compressor.  The following are quotes from the Sanden website:

"Sanden does not believe that compressors can be rebuilt with an acceptable
quality level. We recommend new, not rebuilt, compressors when replacing
a broken unit."

"There are many poor quality copies of Sanden compressors. Please contact
one of our authorized distributors to ensure that you are buying an original,
high quality, Sanden compressor. Please contact Sanden directly if you feel
you have been sold a counterfeit Sanden compressor."

John