[DeTomaso] AC Compressor Source

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Mar 16 08:59:58 EDT 2011

2011-03-16 02:08, Rob Dumoulin skrev:
> All,
>
> The AC on my Pantera was gutted when I bought the car. The evaporator and
> hoses are still there but nothing else. I'm in the market for a new Rotary
> compressor, will replace all hoses, will use my stock evaporator, and need
> some expert advice.
>
> I see reference to SD-508 and SD-50.  Which one and what is a good source?

I replaced the rotary compressor in my car, which apparently was a Hall
unit, with this one (Sanden 508):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-04808-VUA/

I see you can get them for about $125 on ebay.

As the previous owner had already replaced the York, it already had the
correct adapter, and it was a simple bolt on.

The hoses will have have to be adjusted of course.

I spent a small fortune trying to get the system to hold a charge longer
than two years. After having changed the front seal, and all hoses, and
it was still leaking, I bought a leak detector, and found that the
compressor was leaking almost everywhere. I then found an article that
explained that some old R12 compressor gaskets will not seal properly
with R134a, which is what my system uses.

Now I haven't tested the system yet this season, but it worked great
last season, and I'm fairly confident that it will work fine this year
as well.

> Napa and Advance Auto Parts could not locate a Sankyo or Sanden from this
> model number. Is there a make/model that would help them find the
> compressor?
>
> If I plan to use R-134, what is the criteria to choose flared fittings or
> o-rings?

My system used o-ring fittings from the factory, even with R12, except
for the compressor. I now have o-rings everywhere.

> My radiator is in the stock position. Can I relocate my condenser up front
> in that configuration?
>
> If I relocate the condenser up front, is there preferred condenser that
> fits?
>
> Any help is appreciated. I really need to get the compressor ordered ASAP
> and decide which condenser to get.

Thomas