[DeTomaso] AC Compressor Source

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 22:09:29 EDT 2011

 Rob wrote:

I see reference to SD-508 and SD-50.  Which one and what is a good source?
..........SD-508 is used by most vendors. It can be had for R12 use, or 134a. DO NOT get
a rebuilt unit or a China knockoff. But a REAL made-by-Sanden unit. Watch for the buzzword - Sanden style.
Insist on genuine Sanden.
You will also need a conversion mounting plate for the Sanden. ebBay can provide, as can any vendor, too.

Napa and Advance Auto Parts could not locate a Sankyo or Sanden from this
model number. Is there a make/model that would help them find the
compressor?
.......... to make things easy, but not as cheap, source from one of our vendors. See above caution, though.

If I plan to use R-134, what is the criteria to choose flared fittings or
o-rings?
..........134a is not as good a refrigerant as R12. And it will be phased out very soon, and pricing will then tend to
rise as R12 has. A 134a system should use o-rings fittings, and will need new hoses. Your 40 year old ones will leak
the smaller molecules of 134a. As you will likely keep your under-dash evaporator, you will retain the flare fittings
on it and the expansion valve. In theory, the 134a should get a different expansion valve. I don't think many owners go
to the effort, though. And always a new drier with any new system.

My radiator is in the stock position. Can I relocate my condenser up front
in that configuration?
........... Not unless you have sucker fans.

If I relocate the condenser up front, is there preferred condenser that
fits?

Any help is appreciated. I really need to get the compressor ordered ASAP
and decide which condenser to get.

............ This is a classic never-ending upgrade. Check www.panteraplace.com for one conversion story.

Larry