[DeTomaso] Campagnolo Paint preparation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 01:58:03 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/14/11 20 25 12, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> Overall, it was A LOT of work. Mike Drew dropped his wheels off at a
> local body shop and had them resprayed for $50 each (IIRC). I think I would go
> that route in the future given all the work it was to strip and paint the
> wheels myself.

HAH!   It cost more than $150 each to have my wheels painted...and they
didn't have to strip them.   The rears were factory-painted (but the paint job
was very poor and there was green primer showing through in places, I bought
them new in 1989) and the front wheels had been powdercoated by Larry
Stock, the wrong color--DOH!

They just scuffed 'em and shot 'em with the chosen color (I actually
color-matched the factory paint of my '89 wheels, which was different from the
1971-1974 color, with a bit of fine metallic flake in it) and then clearcoated
them.   The factory wheels were only painted, but not clearcoated (as far as
I can tell).   The clearcoating gives my wheels a slightly glossier
appearance than I would like, but on the other hand, it makes them much easier to
clean.

Not that I ever clean them or anything....

Mike (the one with the brake-dust-colored front wheels....)