[DeTomaso] question - best oilpan gasket

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 00:31:58 EST 2011

To address the original question- what type pan gasket is best, there are
basically three types. One is a matrix of cork and plastic fillers while the
other is a synthetic rubber. These two are around .090" thick. A third is a
thick paper gasket maybe .040" thick.
Over time it's pretty easy to pinch the cork gaskets in two, especially if
you get a small seep of oil and retorque the bolts to stop it. The rubber
ones don't pinch in two as easily but they do slide around unless one side is
contact-cemented to either the block flange or the pan. I've had best luck
using the thick paper gaskets, but the pan flange must be very straight &
flat or you'll get instant leaks. Don't ask me for brands & part numbers- don't
know without rooting around in the shop and that's about all I've done
recently. My   2¢- J DeRyke