[DeTomaso] Next question - best oilpan gasket

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Mar 9 22:08:24 EST 2011

Just for Balance.  I have never had issues with leaks and I use the full pan
gasket set.  I lightly coat the side and end gaskets with RTV with a more
generous gob at the corner junctions.  I then tighten the bolts until they
are snug.  I am careful to not distort the side gaskets.  I very closely
watch the side of the gasket as I am threading the bolt. My eyes are within
inches of the gasket! After allowing the gaskets and RTV to sit overnight, I
gently tighten the bolts until the gaskets just begin to squish or spread.
I again allow the gasket to sit for a day or more and retighten again until
the gasket starts to squish or spread.  Let me emphasize, I am looking for
the slightest amount of gasket movement.  You will do more harm
overtightening.  I find that the tightening process has a lot to do with
feel.  I use extensions that allow me to get a 3/8" ratchet above the pan.
I grasp the ratchet right over the head to ensure that I do not use to much
torque.  It requires very little.

Another approach and after lots of years the gaskets do not leak through.

JT