[DeTomaso] no crank, no start

John Maffeo johnmaffeo1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 23:43:05 EDT 2011

A few months ago, I went to start my car, and it would not start. It cranked,
but no start. The next time I tried, a few days after that, no crank, no
start.... just a click.

I thought that the battery was dead so I bought a new one. Same problem, no
crank, just a click.

I returned the new battery and put the old one on a charger. I installed a
negative battery cut-off in case there was a drain on the battery.

I thought the starter (6 year old db mini torque) might be bad, so I hit it a
few times with a hammer. The car started right up!

A few weeks later, no crank just a click. Hitting the starter did not work. back
to where I started.

I ordered a new starter from db electrical. I installed it tonight, and I still
have the same problem. No crank. just a click.

any ideas on what might be wrong?

thanks in advance.

John