[DeTomaso] R.S. Thermo & restrictor plate ??

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 12:57:23 EDT 2011

 To All,

Those of you running a Robert Shaw OEM 351C with hat style thermostat ( or any one with information ) ----- have you checked or is there any documentation showing how deeply to install the restrictor plate into the block. I did some measuring and my findings show that if the restrictor plate is mounted fully seated that the hat would not reach the upper surface of the plate by about .097". Therefore if the plate were mounted about .125 above fully seated that the hat would protrude into restrictor opening by ~ .020 of an inch. It appears to me that if not mounted correctly you would bypass too much coolant when thermostat is open. Thus causing engine coolant ( at engine )  temperature to be higher than necessary.

Any information welcome,

Bud #3400