[DeTomaso] Fw: Re: Pantera fall down go boo m :<(

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 19:42:13 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/28/11 11:33:00 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I talked to their tech guys and they claim bigger roller bearings make a
> big difference, so they recommend larger diameter lifters to make room for
> the bigger bearings.  And all of them are force fed oil, which seems to be
> become more common.

Yup. IMHO, big lifters that use bigger roller wheels requires boring the 16
lifter holes in a block oversize & bushing them, so its sort of expensive
and is mosly for SBCs that use the smallest diameter lifters at 0.825" and do
have problems. Fords are 0.875" and the next choice is Chrysler lifters at
0.902". Oversized lifters also change the set-up and running characteristics
of whatever cam they are applied to.
There seem to be three or more failure modes for roller lifters: the actual
roller wheel spalls from old age and low speed skidding, or cracks from
valve-float impacts on the cam, the roller bearings and/or axle fail from lack
of oil or old age, plus the rollers and axle flat-spot from impacts (valve
float) that haven't yet cracked the wheel, or from running heavy valve
springs that overload everything. So pressure lubrication of the axle & roller
bearings is only part of the solution. Jon Kaase says the life of his solid
roller lifters went up markedly when he went from 1/2" dia. pushrods to 9/16",
which in his words, 'let us finally get the whole valve train under
control'. Stock pushrods for the 351-C are four sizes smaller than that at 5/16"....

'Course, most of this is race engineering or short-term drag stuff that
doesn't really belong on the street. When I finally choose a cam for my street
Fontana build, I'd like it to be a hydraulic roller for the slightly higher
efficiency and ability to compensate for aluminum expansion with heat, not
for more power. So I am leaning toward the Isky EZ roll bushing-type 'roller'
lifter, with beehive springs. And at least 7/16" pushrods. FWIW- J DeRyke