[DeTomaso] steering rack....Again??!!Bump steer and noises

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:04:25 EDT 2011

There are zero Metal parts or sleeves in these all plastic bushings.All of the bushing is hard machined plastic (Delrin) and the bolt slides directly through the plastic.I cleaned them all and inspected carefully and even placed a magnet on them.I called a reputable vendor and he had never heard of any bushings like these, not sure where they came from.  Once was missing 30 percent of its material but was not on the side with the noises.
You are correct the pic I took I slightly withdrew each bushing to show the material better.  They are very loose and if you pick up the a arms and give it a good shake they all fall out onto the ground.
I just checked the back of the car and the same bushings are there.I recall the lower rear a arm can be fused and rusted and there is a kit to replace that, how do I tell if thats been done already?
All new bushings and sway bar accessories are ordered.
I was gonna just do the front but now I figure if these are not proper I might as well do it all since everything else is new.I should have done these bushings last time with the ball joints, bearings, brakes, rack etc but was told they looked "ok".  I guess you dont know unless you remove them and DIY.
ThanksClay