[DeTomaso] Sad day in Holland...:<(

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:46:05 EDT 2011

Truly a sad event that could have been prevented, it's complacency that's
usually at fault,
We all go to races all of the time and take it for granted that everybody
walks away from spectacular wrecks.
Being the first guy on the scene is an experience you'll never forget.

No guessing what went wrong, too early for that or placing blame on anybody
or any part of the car.

I've said on here more than once that anybody can buy a few parts and make
any car go fast
( watch the Ricers with their chips and exhaust systems ).
What separates a fast car from a prepared car is the whole package being
prepared to compliment and
support the rest of the car's capabilities.
For those working on your cars now, brakes, suspension, belts are all way
more important than boosting the stock
330 hp higher. Do those things first and then worry about more power.
Watch a well driven Porsche 914 at an autocross, not a lot of power and
usually one of the fastest times.

Yes, Mike, the walls are there to protect people on the other side of them,
after watching a few mini coopers
and fiats do their best, it probably looked safe, but it wasn't any safer
with those cars than it was with the Pantera.

Fate's fickle finger finds us, no matter...truly a sad day for all
concerned.

Complacency Kills.

I know that when we were in Asheville, I scheduled a time for safety checks
and while I checked my car,
and others checked theirs ( I assume ) I was remiss in not insisting that we
spend 30 min. checking each others cars.

I never want to feel what the organizer of this event feels right now.

Michael Shortt