[DeTomaso] MSD distributors - WTF?

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 02:13:35 EDT 2011

I was tired of dealing with the lack of space near the distributor, so I lowered the engine .25" and I moved it back .25".

I'm suffering from CRS, so it might have been .50" on both.

To lower, I took the lower engine mounts to a shop and had them remove a section and reweld.  It was pretty simple.  Jack D has mentioned this procedure before.

You also need to lower the ZF.  If you don't, the engine will lean forward.  I lowered the ZF by slotting the mounting holes in the frame.

To move the engine back, I slotted the bolt hole that attaches the two halves of the engine mounts.  I was thinking about swapping mounts side to side, but it would have moved the engine too far back.  It pushes the #4 and #8 header tubes into the body.  Of course, you can cut the body, but I didn't want to do that.

I cut .25 from the ZF mounts to allow it to move backward.  It's hard to describe.  One of these days I'll take pics.  You can't tell the ZF side mounts have been modified unless you compare with unmodified mounts.