[DeTomaso] MSD distributors - WTF?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 17:59:09 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/27/11 1:08:38 PM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> When you say a REAL 351C gear, what do you mean exactly?  The speed shop
> told me the same thing and they have ordered the gear at a cost of $28.
> Just wondering.

After all the war stories on gears I'm hearing recently, I try to use an
OEM used gear off a 351-C distributor that has shown longevity. I wonder about
the manufacture of todays 'Cleveland' gears probably somewhere in the far
east where Cleveland is only a rumor....

> Also, when you say double-pinned, do you mean a “pin-inside-pin” or
> drilling a second hole through the gear and drive shaft?  Again, just wondering …

Either a pin-inside-a-pin, or substitute a chunk of drill rod for the roll
pin. Some recommend the next-size-larger roll pin from a Chevy distributor:
Ford pins are 0.125", Chevys are 0.187". Note if you need to drill a hole,
the distributor shaft is hardenable tool steel so use a sharp drill, lots of
lube and don't get the drill hot or you'll need to finish drilling with a
pricy carbide bit! Good luck- J Deryke